What should I order for my family’s holiday dinner?
There are flurries in the air and December is officially here! Plenty of holiday orders are coming in every day as families prepare for the Christmas season, and the VG Meats team is busy sending out gift baskets to happy recipients. (If you’d like to order a gift basket this holiday season, please click here—we offer pick up and delivery options for your convenience.)
A lot of customers know exactly what they want to order for Christmas dinner, but others aren’t so sure. Maybe it’s your first time cooking for the family, you’re hosting a larger-than-usual group or you want to switch things up this year. No matter the reason, we’re here to help. Here are some recommendations for whatever type of gathering you’re hosting—if you’d like personalized advice or suggestions, please reach out to our team or stop by one of our retail locations to chat in person.
If you have a small family
Not everyone hosts a big family gathering—sometimes, you’re simply cooking for your own household. That actually gives you a lot more options (and less clean-up after dinner). If this describes your Christmas, consider one of the following options:
- A turkey breast. This cooks up beautifully with very little mess in the kitchen and takes much less time than a whole bird. Add a few sides and you’re good to go!
- A stuffed turkey breast. We love this option as well—it’s delicious and makes your holiday dinner incredibly easy to prepare.
- A half-size country ham. They’re tender, juicy, delicious and super easy to prepare and serve. A half size means you have some leftovers, but not too many.
- Cornish hens. This is a classic dish that adds elegance to any holiday meal. A great option for 4-6 people!
- Beef tenderloin steaks. Because they’re incredible and you don’t have to stick with turkey or ham for Christmas dinner. There are no rules!
If you’re hosting a few extra people
Let’s say you’re serving 8-12 people in total. That’s a pretty typical holiday gathering in many households—here are some ideas for your Christmas dinner.
- A traditional roast turkey. You simply cannot go wrong with this option. We also have medium size fully cooked turkey dinners available—these feed 12-15 people, so you’ll have plenty for everyone plus a few leftovers.
- A smoked turkey. This is a fun twist on a classic. You’ll still get those familiar holiday flavours, but in a delectable smoked variety.
- A black forest ham. It’s easy to prepare, completely delicious and makes for great leftovers. Consider making some ham and cheese omelettes on Boxing Day or a nice quiche later in the week!
Pro tip: if you’re making your own mashed potatoes for Christmas dinner, stir in some of our garlic compound butter. You won’t regret it!
If you have a LOT of family
Hosting a big group, or a REALLY big group? We’ve got you covered. In this case, it may be best to go with a cooked meal (unless you have two ovens or can cook some dishes ahead of time). Or, if you’re able to cook everything yourself, go with one or more of these options:
- A party size prepared turkey dinner plus all of the fixings (stuffing, gravy, roasted root vegetables or brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, sweet potato wedges, mashed sweet potato and more.
- A large turkey and a full size country ham plus your favourite sides. Everyone can choose what they want—their preferred protein or a little bit of each!
- A smoked turkey and a delicious aged prime rib with sides. This is a great combination that feels extra decadent.
- A turducken. Pair it with another option or two (prime rib and ham or a classic turkey, for example) and let your guests enjoy trying something new!
If you’d like help making decisions about what to order, please feel free to stop by your closest VG Meats retail location or give us a call. Our team is always here to help, and we look forward to speaking with you. Thanks for reading and happy (almost) holidays!